SR comparisons, was:Re: [MV] IBM ViaVoice 3 and 10.4.7

Chuck Rogers thechuck at mac.com
Fri Sep 1 22:23:50 PDT 2006

Valerie:

Thanks for your email.

My comments were in general, not specifics. iListen will indeed learn
regarding possessives, and anything iListen can do in a browser,
iListen can do - although you may have to write some of the scripts
yourself to do it.

I would never presume to compare an out of the box iListen to an out
of the box Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Not today, anyway. We have a
long way to go before I would even be willing to submit to such a
comparison.

But, if you AREN'T a dual-platform user and you ARE a Mac user - or
you are simply willing and able to put in the extra work it takes to
get iListen up to where things are "out of the box" with Dragon, then
my comments stand true - again, in general.

There are trade offs. Dragon gives you complete speech control over
itself. Because of some technical limitations in the Mac OS, we can't
do that (we are working on partial control, however and we will
continue to work on full control for a future version).

Please do not read anything into my comments that aren't there, and
don't put words into my mouth or thoughts in my head (its  crowded
enough in there already). In summary, I would submit iListen is
better than ViaVoice in every way, which is what started this thread
- accuracy, command and control, everything. Regarding Dragon, if you
are willing to work, iListen can equal Dragon in most cases. In the
remaining areas where iListen falls short (such as voice control of
itself), it makes up for it in other areas (as with its ability to
offer virtually complete control of any application and the Mac OS
through scripting). Regarding scripting, you have to pay $800 for
Dragon to get anything close to what iListen offers you for $99.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers