SR comparisons, was:Re: [MV] IBM ViaVoice 3 and 10.4.7

Valerie Maples vlmaples at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 1 22:16:24 PDT 2006

Chuck;

As a dual platform user I must respectfully disagree strongly.
Although I give iListen an edge in mousing with MouseAywhere over
grid and other options in DNS, the other two statements are patently
untrue.  Proper name and possessive recognition alone are infinitely
better in DNS, both out of the box and with training, and command and
control integrated into all dictation is seamless without
transitioning between two vocabularies.  Then when you look at
command and control in browsers, well, they are not even on the same
planet.

I am a diehard Mac user and strong proponent of iListen and continued
development of SR for Macs.  I use my Mac for 95% of my workload, but
the simple fact iListen does not recognize nor offer correction
options of my last name capitalized (Maples) after every conceivable
training, teaching, and correction in addition to issues mentioned
with inconsistent ability to get words like period or paragraph
(slightly better in 1.7, but still not great) to spell out handicap
its performance considerably.

Since I have used many products successfully for many years on both
platforms and still do to this day as well as having been a
professional trainer for Voc Rehab and being married to a
quadriplegic dependent on SR, I feel I have unique experience on this
topic.  I do not bash iListen for limitations due to OS issues,
speech engine limitations or a shorter development history, but to
say iListen surpasses DNS in any area (except my penchant for
MouseAnywhere)  has no merit in my 12 years of experience with SR.

Valerie Maples

Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
2 GB DDR SDRAM
OSX 10.4.7