SR comparisons, was:Re: [MV] IBM ViaVoice 3 and 10.4.7

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Sat Sep 2 08:31:35 PDT 2006

All:

iListen has had the ability to create custom vocabularies for many,
many years. We have a doctor who states that he was getting about 95
accuracy - with his medical terms - within a week or two of
purchasing iListen. That was almost a year ago. I heard from him
recently, and he is now consistently getting 98-99 percent accuracy
on a regular basis.

There is always a down side to a pre-built vocabulary, which is why
we resist it so strongly: in speaking with medical professionals,
they have told us 99% of the time they use a word from a group of 500
to 1000 specialized words. This is because, while there are a
percentage of medical terms that everyone uses, the rest of the words
a particular individual uses are unique to their discipline.

The average pre-built vocabulary adds 10,000 to 15,000 new words that
the speech engine can recognize. In iListen's case, it can already
recognize about 300,000 words. But adding another 9,000 to 14,000
words to the vocabulary you will never use is going to decrease
accuracy a bit since you are increasing your word choices. In our
tests, we have found this to be the case.

BUT, adding only the words you use has a couple of advantages. The
first is obvious: adding only the words you use not only increases
the odds those words will be recognized accurately, but also
decreases the odds other words will be introduced into the vocabulary
that could be mis-recognized instead of what you actually said. A
second benefit it more subtle. Because the way we add the words en
masse is through the "Learn My Writing Style" feature, iListen
actually learns them in context - meaning it improves by a
considerable amount the odds of those words being recognized right
off the bat.

Our doctor friend - who, by the way, is one of the people who insists
that he is getting better results from iListen than he did from
Dragon after FIVE YEARS!!! - goes one step further with a process we
now recommend to our medical professionals: when, in the course of
normal dictation, he says a word that has not been added yet, he (of
course) adds it at that point. But AFTER he is finished with the
document he then has iListen analyze it immediately using "Learn My
Writing Style." He says he has found the odds that iListen gets the
new word right the first time improve dramatically when he does this.

We would not have thought of doing that, but it does make sense.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.