[MV] IBM ViaVoice 3 and 10.4.7

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Tue Sep 5 15:20:35 PDT 2006

Henry (and everyone else):

It has to do with how development resources have been allocated in
the respective companies (Dragon and MacSpeech).

Dragon has had the benefit of having a codebase virtually unchanged
since Windows 95. This has given them the last 11 years plus to
improve their algorithms, add features, and just in general, tweak
their software.

MacSpeech, on the other hand, has had to rewrite our software from
the ground up three times just to keep it running on the Mac: once to
go from 68K to PPC, again to go from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X, and just
recently, yet again to go from PPC to Intel.

We have our fingers crossed that Apple's "top secret" features for
10.5 will not require us to further retool our software in any
substantial way. But the bottom line is that while Dragon has been
able to significantly improve their training process, we have been
mired in just keeping our software running on the platform.

The good news is that all speech recognition software out there uses
pretty much the same methodology: Hidden Markov Modeling. That's why
you can eventually get accuracy from iListen on par with Dragon - it
just takes longer to get there with iListen.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.