[MV] Voice Recognition Issues

Jonathan Levi, M.D. drjlevi at netonecom.net
Wed Feb 21 21:36:35 PST 2007

At 10:07 PM -0500 2/21/07, David K. Wehe wrote:
>>  Incidentally, I'm one of what's probably a very small number of
>>Mac-dictators still using IBM ViaVoice, and thank this list for a
>>few critical pointers making the continued use possible.
>
>Amazing!  I find ViaVoice almost unusable now.  I can push
>repeatedly on the F8 key and only if the moon happens to be full do
>I get ViaVoice to actually work.  I can reboot and get it to work
>for awhile, but it dies off after a few hours.  Something grabs the
>microphone away.

The short answer is certainly, I dunno. F8 has been a lifesaver for
me, and I got it from some kindly soul on this list.

However, here are a couple of thoughts:

1. What OS X are you using. I switched bback from 10.4.8 to 10.4.6,
mainly because of other problems involving Classic apps. But I seem
to remember more problems with ViaVoice with each OS upgrade. I'm
guessing that ViaVoice will finally die with OS X 10.5.

2. In at least one situation, it seems to help to take a little bit
more time than would otherwise be necessary. That's when I do Manage
My Vocabulary, training a new word that I've just added. When I push
the radio button at the right, to record a new pronunciation, it
helps if I wait 1/4 - 1/2 sec before I dictate the pronunciation. If
I don't, I'm much more likely to get the "This Microphone Is Been
Used Exclusively By Another Application" message.

HTH,

Jonathan