[MV] Dictate Notepad issues

Joseph Senecal JSenecal at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 09:37:39 PST 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 8:13 AM, revDAVE wrote:

> Anyway, can anyone else confirm that typing directly come in
> backwards?

Yes, as far as I know it's always been that way. So I haven't used the
notepad for a long time.

> Also: My favorite way to work is a combination of talking and
> corrective
> typing, as I find it cumbersome to do everything from speech. For me
> it is
> easier to have content come from my mouth and repairs come from my
> fingers.
> What about you? How do you folks like to work?

I'm often just typing (as I am now). When I use dictate I usually try
to make corrections by voice (using training when it's Dictate that
makes the mistake), when that doesn't work for some reason then I use
the keyboard.

> This approach seems to work fine in any regular word processor with
> Dictate,
> but not in dictate notepad. So, are you suggesting that I simply use
> other
> word processors for this purpose and not dictate notepad since it
> currently
> can not handle this task?

That's what I'd do even if the notepad was working, since otherwise
I'd have to copy and paste. The only reason I ever used the Notepad in
IBM's ViaVoice was that was the only place I could do correction
(training). Dictate doesn't have that limitation.

What the Notepad can do is edit existing text by voice. You copy and
paste in the text you want to edit, say "Cache Document" (which
triggers Dictate to treat this as text you've dictated), then edit
away using your voice. So I'd say that Notepad more for those that
cannot type, while the rest of us are better suited by using the
applications we want to dictate into (or our favorite word processor
if some application is problematic with Dictate).

Joe Senecal