[MV] MacSpeech Dictate

Damien Fox ahdfox at mac.com
Tue Jan 22 10:15:00 PST 2008

Chuck-  Thanks for the fast answers!

On 22-Jan-08, at 12:49 PM, Chuck Rogers wrote:
> Damien (and everyone else):
>
> First, let me make one thing very clear: this is not "Dragon on the
> Mac." So don't expect everything to work the way Dragon
> NaturallySpeaking does. There is not one line of code from the
> Dragon NaturallySpeaking program in MacSpeech Dictate. Any
> similarities between the two programs (other than the amazing
> accuracy) will be because that is simply the best way to do
> something, not because Dragon does it that way.

sounds good--  dragon is a windows app, after all!

> To answer your questions specifically:
>
>> 1) How are words added?  With the old phonetic editor, or with
>> Dragon's (and ViaVoice's) "type it out and record your
>> pronunciation" system?
> Right now, words are added through Vocabulary Training. Additional
> features for adding words will be added in a later version.
>>
>> 2) How does correction function?  Is it like Dragon's "say and
>> replace" that can be done while working on the document?
> Version 1.0 will not have a traditional Correction interface. You
> correct mis-recognitions by selecting the mis-recognized word or
> phrase and then either re-speak it or type it in manually. (You can
> select by voice, btw.) We are totally re-inventing the way we do
> Correction compared to iListen, and we are taking the time to do it
> right. We will offer Correction features in a free upgrade.

sounds like the same function as the part(s) of dragon that I find
works so well-- i like correcting right away.

>> 3) Will there be special plugins for Word/Pages/etc, like Dragon,
>> so that Dictate can work flawlessly in those apps, just like it
>> will in the included Dictate Notepad?
> Right now we are concentrating on getting version 1.0 out the door.
> After that, our focus will be Correction. It is too early to
> speculate on what applications will be supported with Correction.
> Best Regards,
>
> Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
> MacSpeech, Inc.

With respect, then it sounds like a late Beta rather than a 1.0.

Not to nitpick, but as a strong supporter of MacSpeech, I would rather
have expectations that match the product-- i.e. "wow, what a great
beta, can't wait for 1.0", rather than "wow, 1.0 is lame, wish I had
waited for 1.1, or 2.0".  Still, the code shipping next month will be
the same either way.
-damien