[MV] MacSpeech Dictate

Chuck Rogers chuck.rogers at macspeech.com
Tue Jan 22 10:37:16 PST 2008

Damien (and everyone else):

Beta software is software that is "feature complete" and free of known
bugs. The purpose of beta testing is to find bugs the development team
did not find - the unknown bugs. In some cases, of course, things
aren't always that clear cut. Sometimes, beta software has some known
issues that the development team is still working on, but they need
people to beat up on the rest of the program. This is important, as
the development team does not have the same machine configurations or
combinations of installed software as the wide variety of our users.

So let's look at the phrase "feature complete" for just a moment. It
is up to the developer to decide what features it will ship with its
software. In this particular case, we have been listening to our
customers very carefully. iListen's Correction feature was very
innovative when it was introduced in 2000. But today we have many
other tools at our disposal, and over 7 years of experience under our
belts.We want to take the time to get it right.

In no way should anyone consider what we release next month as beta
software. If we wanted to release beta software, we'd release what we
have today. But we feel the accuracy is so good with this new product
that most people will only be using Correction when they want to add a
word - mis-recognitions will be few and far between. So we had a
choice: release 1.0 without Correction (while we take the time to get
it right), or hold up release. In light of the amazing accuracy you
will get and the fact you can add words using Vocabulary Training, we
thought it best for both our users and ourselves to get the software
out there as soon as possible.

We will be offering a free update to a version that includes
Correction as soon as we possibly can.

Best Regards,

Chuck Rogers, Chief Evangelist
MacSpeech, Inc.