[MV] Microphones

Joseph Senecal JSenecal at aol.com
Thu May 8 11:52:46 PDT 2008

Chris,

As I understand it, Bluetooth headsets have a lower sample rate than
is needed for dictation applications, and in addition they compress
the signal using a lossy compression algorithm. This compression
throws out information that is used by dictation applications in order
to recognize speech. The problem is that dictation software does not
listen the same way we do, so different components of the sound waves
are important. The Jawbone Bluetooth headset is probably particularly
bad in this regard, it's noise cancellation feature distorts the
user's voice to the point that I can hear the difference (based on the
samples posted on the Jawbone site).

The short answer is that very few wireless microphones work with
dictation. I think I have seen some postings of one or two wireless
microphones (not Bluetooth) that could work with dictation software,
but I don't remember the specifics.

I also am using a Plantronics DSP-300 that I bought for iListen, along
with many other microphones I bought for iListen (some supported, some
not). I haven't tried all of them with Dictate yet, but those I have
tried have worked just fine.

Joe Senecal

PS: I dictated this message using a Plantronics microphone,
unfortunately I don't know the model number of this one :-)