[MV] Dictate vs Dragon Speak - Opinions?

Richard Bullen bullen.r at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 11:19:20 PST 2009

I wonder if anyone who has used both the mac version and the pc version
would venture an opinion on whether the mac version is equal to the pc
version.

Background to the question
I used to use Via Voice but gave up on it as its static development
condition caused it to become difficult to use with advances in OS X.

I was given a pc, which I intend to use for testing web pages, but it
occured to me that I could use Dragon Speak and transfer the results
back to my iMac.

DS appears to be not without its detractors although overall there seems
to be more postive things said that negative.

Watching this list its not clear to me that Dictate is working as well
as DS

My application is for dictating notes. I don't need nor do I plan to use
"computer commands", other than those directly involved in the process
of dictation.

My use is intended primarily as an efficiency tool so if the software
doesn't work consistently and with a high degree of accuracy its not
worth the investment.

Pricing: Basic DS $50 at Frys.  Dictate $150 at amazon.  Does the 3:1
price deliver increased value. As far as I can see if they were equal in
performance the increased value of not using the pc version is the
convenience of working directly in OS X.

Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.