[MV] Nuance Dictate

Fabian Fang ftfang at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 23:48:09 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Randy B. Singer <randy at macattorney.com> wrote:

> Nuance has been around for a long time.  They have a long history of picking
> up products from other companies and selling them until they no longer work,
> with no updates for bugs that come up, and virtually no customer support.

Even as an owner of several Nuance products, I have not attempted to
keep track of the company's "long history."

> They have done this with OmniPage for the Macintosh, for instance.  In fact,
> they are still offering OmniPage for the Mac for sale:
> http://www.nuance.com/for-business/by-product/omnipage/mac/index.htm
> with no indication whatsoever that the product can't even be installed by
> most folks on recent versions of Mac OS X.

I do not know about "most folks" and can only write about my own
experience.  I bought OmniPage Professional X for Mac from Nuance, and
it installed just fine on an iMac G5 running OS 10.5.8, and has worked
well with two Canon scanners.

> This is well hidden on Nuance's Web site:
> http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2008/~/using-omnipage-pro-x-on-mac-os-10.2-or-later

This was last updated on April 16, 2010, and indicated that:
"Limited testing has shown that OmniPage Pro X does run properly on
Mac OS 10.0 through Mac OS 10.5.6."

Fabian