[MV] iListen and Snow Leopard?

Joseph Senecal JSenecal at aol.com
Thu Jan 13 12:27:27 PST 2011

Hi Mike,

I clicked on my old version 1.8 iListen. It started to launch but got stuck loading my custom cursor commands. I'll wait a while to see if it ever finishes launching. Meanwhile, I'll write about Dragon Dictate...

Dragon Dictate can indeed dictate into Terminal, I do so frequently, having a large selection of text macros so I can say "List Detailed Directory" to type "ls -lh". Comparing iListen to Dictate in dictating to terminal, you'll noticed these differences:
1) Dictate is more accurate, you'll need to make fewer corrections
2) Corrections are easier to make
3) Dictate garbles text when correcting in terminal. This is because Dictate selects the text to be removed and deletes it all at once where iListen deletes text one character at a time.
4) Dictate sometimes insists that a word in a text macro must be capitalized. When that happens, when the next phrase is dictated (such as new line), the text macro gets duplicated (because of the above problem). The first copy is the original, the second has a word capitalized. A work around is to capitalize that word in the text macro (where possible).

In general, I'm using dictation for coding programs, including terminal. Dictate has some problems with both Terminal and Eclipse (the IDE I'm using). But overall the improved accuracy and ease of correction makes it worth dealing with the problems for me. When Dictate makes a mistake in terminal (which doesn't happen nearly as often as it did with iListen), I just correct the mistake, cancel the line (voice command for ctl-c), then start over.

While typing this, iListen has moved on. I'll send a follow up post when it finishes, including a relaunch to see if it's consistently so slow to launch.

Joe