[MV] Dragon Dictate - is it worth it?

David Morrison davidmorrisonann at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 05:31:50 PST 2013

>Hi, David!
>
>You are doing far better than me if you can remember beta testers
>from MacSpeech! Seems like 1 million years ago, now.
>
>Like you, I found the built-in dictation with the built-in
>microphones to be incredibly accurate, in a low noise environment at
>least. I was stunned that it worked so well on my MacBook Air. I
>find that the older generation USB microphones like the Parrot are
>quite inferior to more recent models & the iPhone. I do believe it
>gets better over time, but I couldn't be very specific.
>
>There are a lot of peculiarities to the nomenclature of Dragon
>Dictate 3, but if you follow them, it is also highly accurate. It
>does learn, too, and it does very well ignoring things like coughs,
>sneezes, & throat clearing.

Well, I did order it, and I guess it will arrive in a week or two.
Freight was not as expensive as usual from the USA. By the time I
convert to Australian dollars, though, it turns out to be not much
cheaper than the street price of Dictate here.

I almost bought the downloadable version, but thought a new mic was
probably desirable. I remember discussion on the MacSpeech list about
microphones and that they did deteriorate over time. Nevertheless,
the Parrot is still a good mic for Skype or similar uses.

Cheers

David