[MV] Dragon Dictate - is it worth it?

Charles S Rogers thechuck at mac.com
Wed Dec 11 19:45:53 PST 2013

David (and everyone else):

Dragon Dictate 3.0 is simply the best dictation for Macintosh that has ever existed. Like it's predecessors, it will benefit from using the program's built-in NotePad, but to be honest, the advantage this provides is so negligible you will probably not notice it.

In my experience, the more complex the program into which you want to dictate, the greater the likelihood that Dictate may become "confused." In other words, TextEdit is a piece of cake, Word can be a little challenging unless you just use plain text (no formatting), and programs with fields or cells (such as FileMaker, Excel, and Numbers) somewhat problematic. But most of these challenges are simply a matter of learning how to properly use (or sometimes NOT use) Dictate within the target application.

In short, if you get frustrated within a given application, try dictating into the NotePad and use voice commands to cut, switch, and paste (just like the old days). You will find your frustration with this method is far less in SOME (certainly not most) applications if you use this method.

In my experience, Dragon Dictate is about 98-99 percent accurate right out of the box. That still means 1 or 2 errors per hundred, which is still a lot for dictation. With consistent use of correction you can bring this up to 99.5 to 99.7 percent accuracy, or 3 to 5 errors per thousand words dictated.

Chuck Rogers