[MV] Dragon Dictate - is it worth it?

David Morrison davidmorrisonann at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 20:17:00 PST 2013

>David (and everyone else):
>
>Dragon Dictate 3.0 is simply the best dictation for Macintosh that
>has ever existed. Like it's predecessors, it will benefit from using
>the program's built-in NotePad, but to be honest, the advantage this
>provides is so negligible you will probably not notice it.
>
>In my experience, the more complex the program into which you want
>to dictate, the greater the likelihood that Dictate may become
>"confused." In other words, TextEdit is a piece of cake, Word can be
>a little challenging unless you just use plain text (no formatting),
>and programs with fields or cells (such as FileMaker, Excel, and
>Numbers) somewhat problematic. But most of these challenges are
>simply a matter of learning how to properly use (or sometimes NOT
>use) Dictate within the target application.
>
>In short, if you get frustrated within a given application, try
>dictating into the NotePad and use voice commands to cut, switch,
>and paste (just like the old days). You will find your frustration
>with this method is far less in SOME (certainly not most)
>applications if you use this method.
>
>In my experience, Dragon Dictate is about 98-99 percent accurate
>right out of the box. That still means 1 or 2 errors per hundred,
>which is still a lot for dictation. With consistent use of
>correction you can bring this up to 99.5 to 99.7 percent accuracy,
>or 3 to 5 errors per thousand words dictated.

Thanks Chuck. I will mostly be using it for mail and documents, so
the Filemaker/spreadsheet problems should not occur.

One thing I would like to be able to do is to type into applications
in a Parallels virtual machine (Snow Leopard - apps need Rosetta).
Has anyone tried this? Mavericks dictation certainly does not work
for this.

Cheers

David