[PB] Location manager?

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Tue Nov 23 07:19:18 PST 2004

I miss the functionality of the location manager in OS 9. I move
between my office and home with my PBG4, and I wish there were a simple
way to switch smtp servers in Mail, for example. Of course when Mail
doesn't find the default server it suggests others, but I have to look
at the dialog box and select the right command, that in the middle of
trying to get through my e-mail. I have to do it for two accounts. I
have to redo it if I quit Mail. And often I get that dialog even when
Mail is set to the right server, because the server is unavailable at
the given moment. So I find myself going into Mail preferences and
changing the smtp server for both my accounts twice a day. That's a
pain in the butt.

It would be nice to change default printers when I move, as well.

Why doesn't Apple build this into the OS? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I did a quick VersionTracker search and came up with Location X. I'll
install it and give it a try, but I had problems with this program in
the past and there is a post from a user who says it doesn't work after
the latest security update of OSX. The program hasn't been updated for
over a year.

What are people's experience with Location X?

Jim