[PB] Since we're already OT... (Loading OS X on G3)

Ralph Lewis maccare at gwi.net
Fri Jul 1 07:28:03 PDT 2005

You could have a Tiger CD failure, I installed tiger yesterday on a
customers Sage iMac, and have a graphite in the shop on running
tiger. The machine was running system 9.0 I installed System 9.2.2 as
the The Firmware update required 9.1 or better. I used Firmware
update 4.1.9f1 then installed Tiger and  everything worked fine.

On Jul 1, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Eric F Crist wrote:

> This isn't a book.  This is an iMac, one of those colorful ones.
> It's graphite, with built-in fire wire.
>
>> I think Tiger will only install with machines that have built-in
>> Firewire.  Thus, it may just be that your book may be too old?
>>

>>> I just acquired an iMac DV with a 500 MHz G3, 256MB ram, and a 30GB
>>> HD.  I'm trying to install Mac OS 10.4, but the system keeps failing
>>> about 95% of the way through.  I have the software restore disks
>>> that
>>> were original with the system and I have fully restored the original
>>> software.  From the web pages I've browsed, I need to update from
>>> 9.0.4 to 9.1 and then upgrade to the 5.4.1 firmware version.
>>>
>>> All of these items seem to have completed successfully, but my OS
>>> 10.4 installation continues to fail.

Ralph Lewis
www.mac-care.com
maccare at gwi.net