[PB] Re: [Ti] Apple Remote + Front Row

Adam Bass abasscube at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 12:34:30 PDT 2005

Jim,

Right now, it seems Apple is selling the remote just so that buyers
of the new iPod Universal Dock will be able to take advantage of it.
But the statement you quoted from Apple suggests that they will make
future products with built-in IR; most likely, they will start to
include this remote and the Front Row software with other Macs as
well, such as the Mac mini and their laptops. Technically you
probably could get some kind of USB IR device, but even then, Front
Row is only on the iMacs right now, and I assume these remotes will
only work with Front Row. So unless you figured out a way to transfer
the Front Row software from one of the new iMacs to your PowerBooks,
you're pretty much out of look right now unless you buy a new iMac.

I think this is going to be something really big for Apple though,
and I'm sure Front Row will be added to at least to the Mac minis,
and hopefully their laptops as well.

Adam