[PB] strange noise

Jim Freeman jpfreeman at mac.com
Sun Oct 23 07:16:26 PDT 2005

I'm afraid there might be a problem with the hard drive on my PBG4
and I'm wondering if anyone has any insights before I call AppleCare.
Whenever I pick up the powerbook while it's running I hear a buzzing
sound, like something rotating at high speeds is rubbing somewhere.
It reminds me of the sound made by a grinder or a buffer. This sound
doesn't not occur when the computer is resting on a flat surface,
only when I pick it up. I make an effort now to pick it up carefully
with two hands, and the sound depends on how I hold it, but I pretty
much get it every time I move it. The computer is a year old, under
AppleCare, with an Apple installed hard drive. There are no other
issues and I'm pretty good about backing everything up to an external
drive and to .mac. I'd hate to be without a computer if Apple wanted
me to send it in. Or maybe it's too ambiguous a problem to get any
help from Apple. But I'd hate to have my HD crash on me, and the
sound is annoying.

Jim

Powerbook G4 12" 1.33 GHz
OS X 10.4.2