Battery (again)

Roger Snyder rogersnyder at pobox.com
Sun Dec 1 18:07:31 PST 2002

    Well, my battery life is down to less then 10 minutes. In fact I'm not
sure it will make it through start up from shut down condition. It reads
98%, the battery lights are all lit, but it lasts only a number of minutes
and then shuts completely (no sleep, no warning). The charging light stays
Green.

    This is after operating at about 1/2 life for months. (1 1/2 to 2 hours
when it used to do 4+). This was not gradual, but in two big jumps.

    I've reset the power manager in all the ways I've seen before. 1) Shut
down and push the button. 2) Shut down, remove the battery and power cord
and push the button. 3) Let it run all the way to the warning, shut down,
push the button, and let it charge turned off overnight. 4) Let it run down
until it stops, push the button, and let it charge turned off overnight. And
various combinations of the above.

    Of course now I get no warning, and it looks like the battery is not
running down at all, (not just not holding any charge if the battery lights
are accurate).

    BTW, the instructions (or some of them) for resetting the power manager
says that the clock will reset, but mine never has.

    This last drop (to a few minutes battery life) came just after the
battery was removed while the Ti was running but not plugged in. (This was
at Thanksgiving with the family, and I'm not clear if that is what really
happened, (or why someone would do that) but it sounds like this is what
they did.

    The Ti is just under a year old.

    Any ideas? I thought of going to the local Apple store, but I can't for
a week or two (it is not that local.)

    Thanks in advance.

-- Roger

People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.