[Ti] Unix on OS X

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Tue Dec 3 11:09:41 PST 2002

Massimo Marino wrote:

> just to have a taste of what is available. To this day the guys at Fink
> have ported to OS X some 1,800 packages from Unix/Linux
> ranging from window managers, compilers, LaTex stuff, games, the whole
> GNOME, etc etc.

I agree that Fink is definitely the place to start looking for unix
applications.  Many times a compile can involve many different compiler
switches for different compile options, such as for example, apache with
or without PHP support.  The precompiled packages are usually compiled
with the most common switches so they work for just about everybody.

I addition, they are easy to install with apt or dpkg.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator