[Ti] Keyboard marks screen

Jeffrey K. Lew jklew at ucla.edu
Wed Dec 4 11:22:49 PST 2002

>We constantly hear of the marks being grease. But it seems to me
>that if the hard keys touch the screen closely enough to transfer
>grease, some incidental pressure could cause scratching or
>indenting, as well.

The pressure of the keys against the screen certainly is an issue.
I've seen the damage as far back as the Wallstreets, which supposedly
does not have the key-marking problem of later, slimmer models. The
most prevalent damage is a short, horizontal abrasion line in the
middle of the screen, corresponding to the lower edge of the spacebar
(on the Wallstreets, it will look like a blemish on the screen when
it's not lit). On my Ti400, I have the pits and scratch from the
spacebar, and I also have a patch of slightly lighter pixels  where a
corner of the spacebar would hit the screen. That would be something
a sheet paper will not protect against.

An interesting side-effect of the screen protectors is this: for a
while, I used a thin sheet of styrofoam padding, like the one that
comes with a new Powerbook. Since I did not pay much attention to the
orientation of the sheet when I put it on the keyboard, both sides of
the sheet were more or less equally exposed to the keyboard.
Eventually, a keyboard pattern of grease developed on the screen,
from the grease transferred to the styrofoam sheet that was then
"printed" onto the screen.

Jeff Lew