[Ti] DVD Burning

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Sat Dec 7 11:54:14 PST 2002

>>Alright, I have tried burning 2 dvd discs since I bought my new tibook
>>yesterday, and both have errored out.  Both are discs of flies, being burned
>>using toast, the media is high quality.  The first time it got halfway, the
>>second time it got 90% finished, then reported a hardware error
>
>I have had mixed results with various media (including "brand name"
>media) in the Superdrive on my tower G4.  The only media that I have
>found consistently reliable has been Apple's DVD-Rs.  Not one
>coaster with Apple's media.
>
>FWIW.
>
>Mark

I commiserate with you. New machine. Excited to burn your first
portable DVD and the damn thing spits out a couple of coasters.
Your issue doesn't sound media related. Didn't the new Ti come with a
couple of Apple disks? Did you use those? I have used a variety of
DVD-R media in the Superdrive and have never burned a coaster.
(Fingers crossed... just a matter of time) Granted, they have only
been iDVD software burns. I have not used Toast to do a data backup
with a DVD. Have you tried Apple's Burn Disc? Not that you want to
make any more platters, but is it something in Toast? Is your copy of
Toast... toasted? (I know - not funny; don't mean to be like those
other lame-o, wanna-be jokesters out there.) I assume your are using
Toast 5.2.

Hmm... Is the 1X burn speed as pedantic as reported? Somebody
mentioned 5 hours for a one hour video.

I have a 667 DVI and am leaning to an external 4X but that will have
to be a separate thread.