External DVD Drives-Experiences-Recommendations

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Sat Dec 7 12:23:00 PST 2002

I am looking to buy an external DVD burner with a Ti 667 DVI. The
idea of a portable DVD burner in the Ti sounds great but the reality
of the 1X burn speed isn't. I have decided to suffer without true DVD
burn portability and iDVD but will have, in compensation, 4X burn
speed with the new Pioneer.

I am looking at the Formac burner with its Devideon (in-house)
software. Anyone comments on this combination?? Other World Computing
and other companies are bundling the Pioneer in external firewire
boxes and are offering ClarisMac's Discribe with their packages. Any
experiences with these? Or is it just as good/cheaper to buy a bare
drive and throw it in a firewire box? Any other suggestions?

Please and Thanks.