Apple Market Share (was Re: [Ti] PowerBook sighting!)

Glenn L. Austin glenn at austin-home.com
Mon Dec 9 11:38:38 PST 2002

on 12/9/2002 9:48 AM, Henry Kalir at kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU wrote:

> I guess then that one could conclude that this has no effect whatsoever on
> the market side of things, else how do you account for Apple's miniscule
> market share?

Three little letters: I, B, and M.

Seriously, when IBM introduced their personal computer, they put them on the
same price list as their the mainframe hardware, and which meant that they
were usually on an open purchase order (hey, you can't have the mainframe
down for an extended of time due to a hardware failure!).  This meant that
when a company wanted to purchase computers for their people, do you think
that they went out for competitive bid, waiting 60 to 90 days for the
computers to finally arrive, or pick up a phone and have complete computers
(monitors and everything) on their loading dock inside of a week?

That was the smartest thing IBM ever did.

--
Glenn L. Austin <><
Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver