[Ti] pc's are the Ford Taurus' of the computer world was [Ti] PowerBook sighting!

Grace_Kjelden at NCCI.COM Grace_Kjelden at NCCI.COM
Tue Dec 10 12:55:36 PST 2002

Not flaming really....But please can we just get beyond this Mac can and PC
can't and PC can and Mac Can't crap!!!  The facts are, there are some
things that a Mac does wonderfully.  There are somethings that a PC does
just as well.  There are some reasons people own a Mac as opposed to a PC.
There are just as many reasons why people don't or won't own a Mac.   I
started using a Mac over a year ago after being asked by a good friend to
at least look at it and consider it.  There are some things that it does
great and I don't like using my PC for anymore, (keep in mind, not that the
PC can't do them, just that I like the interface on the Mac better for that
specific task).  There is NO denying that the price you pay is definitely
greater to own a Mac (trust me I know!!! applications cost more, hardware
way more and repairs out of this world).  Some would agree that you pay for
the status or look to belong, to own a Mac.  I say more power to you, if it
floats your boat do it!  I would have to say that however annoying some
problems are on both my systems they are frustrating because one does it
and the other doesn't or vise versa.  The most annoying thing I have faced
since my Mac purchase a year ago, it the fact that the bashing of one OS
over another is most childish.  I can't say I have ever seen Mac bashing by
PC users (but my good friend assures me it's there and has been there for
many years) but then again it's not something I look for.  But, in my
simple quest for knowledge on the Mac side I constantly see PC bashing when
it's not even warranted in the context of the learning materials.  Let's
all face the simple facts for some, computers are a tool (really for most),
and for some it's a statement, a way of life, a following.  Here in America
we have a freedom of choice.   Be thankful that we do!  And respect others
rights to do so.

                      coccolithophorid at earthlin
                      k.net                            To:       "PowerBook G4 Titanium List" <Titanium at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
                      Sent by: "PowerBook G4           cc:
                      Titanium List"                   Subject:  [Ti] pc's are the Ford Taurus' of the computer world was [Ti] PowerBook
                      <Titanium at lists.themacint         sighting!
                      oshguy.com>

                      12/10/2002 03:15 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "PowerBook G4 Titanium
                      List"

I often hear of reasons for not buying a Macintosh, that they are too
expensive and there is not enough software. However, this is exactly
the same (in my opinion) as complaining that a BMW 7 series is too
expensive and hard to find parts for, and a Ford Taurus will get me
from point a to point b just fine for half the cost, this is true, but
comparing a BMW to a Ford Taurus is like comparing apples to oranges,
they are totally different cars. It's true not everyone can afford a
BMW 7 Series, not everyone can afford a Mac either.  A black plastic HP
laptop with windows XP is the Ford Taurus of the computer world, it may
do some tasks well, but with a Mac comes an operating system that is
intuitive and stable and an industrial design that is often seen in
museums, and copied by other companies (Porsche, Gateway). For some, a
computer is a tool to get your email, check out some web sites and pay
bills with quicken, for others a computer is a tool to do those things
plus express yourself with a movie you made, or a DVD you burned, or
perform your music composition to a crowd of 2000 +. The Mac operating
system doesn't get in the way, it assumes that you are smart and you
know what you are doing, it doesn't always ask "are you sure?" "do you
really want to?" "do you need help with?" "the wizard can assist you
with..." no puppies with wagging tails or talking paper clips, just a
set of tools for you to do the job.

Every PC user I know uses Microsoft office and IE, that's it. They
don't do anything with their computers that lets them be creative. The
people I know that use a Mac use it to DJ, Make DV movies, Make Music
etc. email, web and quicken...sure whatever, what's the big deal.
Every time I hear that there is a lack of selection when it comes to
software for a Mac, I ask what can't you do on a Mac that you can do on
a PC? The answer is often that they had a Mac 10 years ago and it was
really hard to find software for it, or that a friend of a friend had a
Mac and they said the mac was hard to find software for. I think it's
more like it's really hard to find a PC that comes with all the stuff
that comes on a mac. Go into a Best Buy or Comp USA and try to do
something that's really simple, put in a c.d. and see what's involved
in copying a c.d. or plugging in a digital camera and downloading
photos, or make a DV movie, or try and have the operating system do 5
things at once, Mhz speed means nothing to me if the operating system
can only do two things at once. Yesterday I tried to burn a c.d. on XP
with musicmatch and it ended up taking about three hours, the OS bogged
down (HP Pavilion n5000 1.1 gHz. AMD athlon 4 256 mb ram) when
transferring mp3's and canceling a burn with the cancel button,
couldn't force quit, couldn't restart, couldn't click on the desktop,
nothing, we just sat and waited, if I were a business this would have
cost a lot of money. I was so frustrated I almost wanted to yank the
plug out of the wall, just so I had control over the computer, it had
total control over my time, this has NEVER happened with os X (2 +
years) whenever I see the spinning color wheel I go do something else,
if it doesn't respond after a while, force quit, I'm always the one
with control over the OS not the other way around.

This is not a flame,
peace,
Kevin

Mike Stanley wrote:
I've never owned my own Macintosh although I would
say before that was a choice dictated as much by cost as it was by my
own perception at the time (and still mostly today) of the MacOS over
the years being "not so great" to be nice.

For all I know Bill Gates made a deal with the devil years ago, but I'd
guess it is more likely related to the historically high price of Mac
machines and the comparative lack of selection when it comes to
software.  No flames, please, I'm on your side now - I'm just thinking
out loud based on my own experiences and those of people I know.

To switch to the DIGEST mode, E-mail to
<Titanium-digest at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Need help from a real person? Try.
<Titanium-request at lists.themacintoshguy.com>

$14.99 Unlimited Nationwide Mac Dialup and Mac Web Hosting from your Mac
ISP
Serious Mac Internet Solutions From NineWire!
http://macinternetaccess.com

CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>

  Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
  Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml