[Ti] mandatory booting into os x

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Tue Dec 10 18:07:35 PST 2002

Interesting points Michael,

The user base has officially spoken I think, with this move. I have been
hearing so much talk over the past few months of people switching to
InDesign because of OSX compatibility. My reality is heavily rooted in Quark
and don't find InDesign to be the proverbial "All that and a bag of chips"
that many report. I have even been considering another machine (a tower
aside from my Ti) for running OS9 exclusively. Like InDesign - most of the
newly carbonized Apps have a *little* way to go yet.

Has Apple come out with anything official yet? Are they going to hush this
one through? I can see them spinning it quite heavily.

On 12/10/02 3:50 PM, "Michael Bigley" <wakinyan at fuse.net> wrote:

>> Apple moving such a firm movement/commitment to a new platform/OS off by 6
>> months because of 1 software vendor? Amazing!
>
> I think that Quark is a great scapegoat for Apple to back off of
> their Microsoftian arrogance that came out of the last MacWorld expo.
> In addition to the January deadline, Apple also posted no-upgrade
> pricing for future generations of OSX and a substantial cost
> structure for the formerly free .mac service. None of these ideas is
> necessarily bad in theory, but they were ill-conceived and
> implemented badly, causing Apple to do a lot of behind the scenes
> back-pedaling.
>
> I believe Apple has been somewhat rudely reminded that they are a
> niche player and they will never be able to be successful with that
> "take it or leave it attitude".
>
> Apple lost huge market share in publishing and graphics during the
> mid-90s, going from near-100% to something in the 60% range; if those
> shares ever fall below 50% in those markets, they will probably
> plummet as quickly as Netscape did in the browser wars. This is not
> sucking up to Quark, this is sucking up to one of Apple's core
> markets. And as it should be, IMHO.

Bill Reburn