[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Tue Dec 10 20:58:45 PST 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Michael Bigley wrote:

> >In the end it does come down to "PC or Mac" after all, not "Dell,
> >Gateway, IBM, Sony, Toshiba, Alienware, blah blah blah 50 more
> >companies OR Mac".
>
> This has become less true over the last 2 years, and OSX will
> continue to make it more so. That is the underlying message of the
> switch campaign... ordinary PC users can switch to become ordinary
> Mac users without much problem.
>
> Back to the car analogy, Apple has to be able to share the same road
> in a unique way, perhaps like a diesel, or the Mazda rotary engine --
> with maybe a hint of Hummer for those who want to take the "road less
> traveled by." ;-)

Why not a Railroad analogy? If you consider the track width to be the OS,
then wouldn't you go with the more popular gauge (width) if you were
buying a locomotive? 90% vs 5%...which will it be??

Apple has to come up with an OS which can take ANY Wintel application and
run it BETTER on a Mac without the need for the developer to do anything!
Then, and only then, will people say:  "Hey! Now that's REALLY COOL! I'm
actually doing BETTER by buying a Mac" Then, as Apple's market share
rises, developers will see the economic sense of writing Native Mac stuff!
(Go ahead...tell me that it can't be done...after all - how can anything
heavier than air fly???)

Another (not so original idea is for Apple to port it's OS to the Wintel
platform...Wintellers can then try it out without any need for additional
hardware outlay, but Apple might lose some hardware sales.

Best,

Henry