[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

aron nelson online at diystompboxes.com
Wed Dec 11 09:26:35 PST 2002

>hardware. Fortunately most PC systems out there have equal or better
>supporting hardware than most mac systems. I am talking about busses,
>graphics cards, highspeed ram, etc.

I believe that PCs are faster if put together "correctly". Sometimes
way faster.

>know that Apple would be wiped-out right. I mean who would ever buy an iMac,
>iBook, or Ti PowerBook ever again when they could run right out and buy a
>big beige box at Best Buy for less money.

IF Apple made a computer that could compete performance-wise and for
the right price, I think they could do well.

>re-compiled. Of course that would be impossible and Apple could never pull
>it off.

It's possible to do this. The company I worked at wrote porting code
and it was as easy to do this at one time. Of course the scope of the
code was limited to the toolbox calls we used. In fact Quicktime has
a lot of toolbox calls which port over to the PC.

The result? The "ported" programs screamed on the Pentium hardware.

I remember one routine ripping through resource manager calls....
about 20 X faster on the PC than on the Mac.

frightening.

Aron

Aron Nelson     - aronnelson at diystompboxes.com
Keyboards, Computers, Pianist, Guitar