[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Loren Schooley loren at flash.net
Wed Dec 11 09:31:39 PST 2002

On 12/11/02 11:08 AM, "Greg Chapel" <gchapel at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> [...]

Absolutely. FreeBSD ROCKS on i386. My Pentium 70 Socket 5 / 128RAM with
FreeBSD slaughters my OSX (not the Aqua part of course), which is an
incomplete FreeBSD 3.3 and full of roadblocks to create revenue for Apple,
respectively.

BSD runs as good on a 486 as it does a 1gig0hurts--albeit a bit of a speed
difference-but that's a given; but that speed difference on Mac hardware is
created by raw power, not design elegance.

BSD was developed while wrapped around i386 for years, while very new and
still now relatively inefficient on Mac hardware, although improving.

Remember-OSX was designed on i386 from birth, and BSD is what makes OSX the
top OS today.

For serious OSX'ers- take an old i386, go to http://www.freebsd.org , create
a boot floppy and install FreeBSD over the Net. You can even install via a
modem and a boot floppy. You will see OSX in all it's glory.

Loren