[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Thu Dec 12 10:52:44 PST 2002

Mark C. Langston wrote:

> That's not entirely accurate -- there is a private beta period.  Early
> Access is closer to a gamma test than beta test.  Still, this is a
> normal part of their development cycle.  There will be a final version
> of OS 9;  this isn't it.  It does, however, contradict the previous
> poster's claim that Sun has given up on x86 development.

We are a Sun support center, and I beta test everything that comes down
the pipe.  Solaris on x86 is not a fully funtional, production
environment operating system, nor will it ever be.  It is a
learning-point port only, for those who can't afford, or won't buy the
native hardware.  It has the problems that Apple would have if they
tried to port to x86 - a specific HCL (look at Darwin's HCL), and very
poor performance due to the inferior x86 processor design and it's
associated instruction sets.  If your hardware is not in the HLC, forget
it - it won't work.  As I also already posted, supporting all the
hardware on the x86 architecture is a nightmare for a truly
high-performance operating system.  There are major, major differences
in RISC vs. CISC architectures.

Despite the fact that BSD may appear to run fine on x86, I'd like to
point out that linux does too.  But set up several linux machines,
running on x86, PowerPC, and UltraSPARC, and thrash them thoroughly.
x86 performance ends up on the bottom of the heap.  I'll tell you flat
out that a 1.8 GHz x86 linux database server won't match an old PowerMac
9600 with a G3/500 upgrade in it, also running PPC Debian.  Been there,
done it, the old Mac wins hands down.  P-IV's are nothing but hype with
a big heat sink.  You can *just* about heat the server room in the
winter time with a couple of those machines.  Admittedly, that's a linux
comparison, but OS X is looking to the future as a high-performance
operating system that is going to need it's own hardware platform to
deliver as promised, just like Solaris does.  Compromise on the hardware
to reduce aquisition cost, and you'll also compromise on the
performance, stability, and general overall reliability of the system.
I'm not saying somebody like AMD won't possibly come up with a decent
x86 processor in the future, but right now, I'm not seeing it.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator