[Ti] Using cellphones

Wally Rodriguez wlists at fireworksmm.com
Thu Dec 12 11:03:46 PST 2002

I've been using data over GSM for almost two years and now over GPRS. It
definitely works very well. At least is has been as consistent as the
cellular system allows.

Calls over GSM to an ISP are slow, but they have been very reliable all over
the US and I've even done some dialups from Mexico to my earthlink account
here.

I have not used GPRS enough, but it definitely feels faster.

My recommendation would definitely be GSM. It works in other countries and
the phones can be switched quickly if there is a problem while retaining
your phone number and address book because of the SIM chip.

Use good phones like the top of the line Sony-ericsson or Nokias, it will
pay off for you. The bluetooth ones are especially attractive as they can be
placed where reception is better while working from a comfortable position
without worrying about wires.