[Ti] OS X on x86 (was: Apple's True Market Share!)

Henry Kalir kalirhe at UMDNJ.EDU
Thu Dec 12 23:21:44 PST 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Chris Olson wrote:

> Mark C. Langston wrote:
>
> > It came from your claim that Solaris on x86 isn't fully-functional.
>
> Since your tone is obviously confrontational, and you are an advocate of
> x86 and I am not, I'll attempt to put this thread more on-track for
> appropriate content for this list.
>
> It's my opinion that it would be a bad move for Apple to port OS X to
> the x86 architecture.  I have my reasons for believing that, no matter
> how "unprofessional" those reasons may be.
>
> If for nothing else, it's because I'm typing this on an *Apple*
> Powerbook powered by a G4 PowerPC processor instead of some generic,
> run-of-the-mill Pentium III mobile wrapped up in a black plastic case,
> or what have you.  So I'm different than the other 95% of the computing
> world because I have an Apple computer, and Apple Computers are
> generally associated with quality.  Would the TiBook still be the most
> sought after notebook computer in the known universe if it was turned
> into just "another x86 notebook computer"?  I highly doubt it.

Hi Chris,

Typing this on a G4 Ti PowerBook (800MHz) too...It's nice, but other
laptops DO exist...and I wonder what their share is...

I see things differently. Once ported - us Mac diehards will continue to
buy Apple hardware, while the rest can still use the Mac OS on their
winters. Software companies would then be more likely to write programs
for the Mac platform, and we would ALl benefit!

Best,

Henry