[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Christian Leue Christian.Leue at web.de
Fri Dec 13 00:55:39 PST 2002

> Absolutely False. I would expect someone like you to know better.
>
> IBM chose the Intel 8080 processor as the one that would go in their
> first entry into the personal computer market. Microsoft then had to
> PURCHASE an Operating System that ran on it because Gary Kildall of
> DEC refused to talk to IBM when Bill Gates sent them over there to
> talk about licensing CP/M to run on the IBM PC.

Sorry to be nit-picking in your absolutisms, Ric, but Digital Equipment
Corportation (DEC) had nothing to do with Digital Research. I had the
pleasure of visiting Digital Research in their cool Victorian house in
Pacific Grove in '80 or '81. Its possibly an urban legend, but Gary
supposedly was out sailing on Monterey Bay when IBM called, and he
preferred the recreation to talking to the "suits" from Big Blue.

Cheers,
Christian