[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Ric Perrott ric at ricperrott.com
Fri Dec 13 08:10:27 PST 2002

> the field.  After this, I will be sure to send anybody your way for help
> with the unix drivers for all the winmodems I and many other people
> never been able to get to work with anything but windows.  Just one
> small example of how hardware is optimized for a particular operating
> system.  You can attack me all you want, if that makes you feel good and
> superior to the rest of us, but you'll fail to convince me that
> hardware/software optimization is not an issue, especially with
> processors.  I know better.

Come on Chris. Now you're equating the processor of a computer with a
WinModem!?

Aren't you stretching a little here? And Winmodem's aren't "optimized" for
any OS, they are just built cheaply because the controller code is wirtten
in software rather than placed in silicon. They could just have easily
written controller code for Linux, MacOS, BSD, etc. But they didn't, why?
Probably because it wasn't worth the development resources for 2% of the
market for the product. Makes logical business sense to me, no conspiracy
necessary.

And please enlighten us as to your "I know better" statement. What
experience exactly do you have that validates your position that
Intel/AMD/TransMeta all optimize their processors for Microsoft Windows.
Incidentally, while they're at it, which version of Windows do they optimize
for? Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98SE, Windows
NT, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows DataCenter, Windows XP, Windows Media
Center, or Windows Tablet Edition? Or do these uber-engineers at
Intel/AMD/TransMeta somehow manage to fully optimize for all of these OSs
simultaneously? Please.