That OS9, OSX, Quark issue

Bill Reburn bill at pacificcoast.net
Fri Dec 13 08:33:50 PST 2002

I have come across several stories regarding the Educational OS9-booting
systems and that date being moved.. Makes me think someone's put a big spin
on it all for the Quark story.. But until Apple says so - we're still
wondering.

I came across this off of the ThinkSecret pages (often rumour-based like any
of the 'Insider' pages). Does anyone know if this took place? This is just
the kind of thing that will ram that $1100 InDesign right to the top of my
Xmas wishlist.

"Several of the Quark clients called were attendees of a conference held by
Quark in New York last month, in which CEO Fred Ebrahimi disparaged the Mac
platform and struck back at critics of Quark's sluggish OS X pace. "The Mac
platform is shrinking" and users dissatisfied with Quark's Mac efforts
should "switch to something else," he told the assembled guests, most of
whom were shocked by his comments and left the session early. When news of
Ebrahimi's remarks leaked, Quark's public relations department addressed the
subject in an email, but the company didn't dispute that the quotes were
true, and in fact supported Ebrahimi's claim that fewer publishers are
purchasing Macs. "With respect to Mac OS, our market data indicates that
fewer publishers are purchasing Macs," said Quark communications manager
Glen Turpin, "and more of our Mac-using customers are considering switching
to Windows." These recent calls to attendees may be some form of damage
control."

Bill Reburn