[Ti] Apple's True Market Share!

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Fri Dec 13 08:35:26 PST 2002

Mike Stanley wrote:

> I just don't think it is fair (or especially accurate) to claim winmodems as
> a sort of conspiracy between hardware makers (in this case modem
> manufacturers) and Microsoft.

I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy, it's more related to economics and
manufacturing costs.  And I understand how they work.  Theoretically, it
*should* be possible to come up with driver code to run controller-less,
or winmodems, with non-windows operating systems.  But in reality, it's
not been so successful.  Some of them we've been able to make work, but
not to an extent where it could be considered stable, by any means.

What I'm trying to point out is that when a hardware manufacturer
designs a component to take advantage of driver or native code in one
particular operating system, the component design is being optimized for
that one system.
--
Chris Olson
Network Administrator