Battery (from Re: [Ti] PC Killer on the Loose)

alan kastner wallah at gol.com
Sat Dec 14 10:47:16 PST 2002

>Odd thing, after my battery reaches 100% full charge, it then appears
>to seep juice (the value drops a few percentage points) but the plug
>icon still indicates it's connected to the power supply.   I've never
>had a battery drain while plugged in before - anyone else experience
>this?

Steve,

I believe you are experiencing the normal behaviour of the charging circuitry that has been used on PowerBooks for a number of years now. For reference, you may want to refer to Apple's Knowledge Base Document 8344, "PowerBook G4: Battery Does Not Show Full Charge in Mac OS X":
>The batteries [snip] are designed to avoid short discharge/charge
>cycles in order to prolong the overall life of the battery. Because
>of this, [snip] you may notice that the reported charge stays between
>95 percent and 99 percent. When the battery level eventually drops
>below 95 percent, it will charge all the way to 100 percent.

The document refers to OS X, but the same behaviour should also be seen in earlier versions of the Mac OS.

Hope this helps,
 alan