[Ti] POLL: was "Apple's True Market Share!"

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Sun Dec 15 20:13:41 PST 2002

On Sunday, December 15, 2002, at 05:30 PM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> On Behalf Of William Scammell writes:
>> A turbo button? ~On~ when you're plugged in, or whenever, ~off~ when
>> you're plugged out.
>
> Ick.  Reminds me too much of Wintel machines.  Personally, I'm not
> sure I want a CPU that eats so much electricity that I can't run my
> computer at full speed without being plugged in.  I'd much prefer it
> as an option for energy saving, but not required.

Well, I don't think I'd turn down that feature just because Wintel
machines use it.  My Dell Inspiron has the speedstep stuff and it works
quite well.  Chances are any TiBook that implemented it (especially in
the hypothetical "dual" situation) would be so fast even on battery
power that it would be an easy tradeoff.  Still, I believe it is
possible, on the Wintel machines anyway, to enable or disable that
feature.

Still, if I had the choice between longer battery life or excess cpu
power (that I personally wouldn't need while not plugged in - not sure
about other people) I'd go for battery life.  Even now, with my TiBook
667 I'd settle for it running at 400 or so unplugged if it gave me more
battery life.