[Ti] FYI: no longer a rumor

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Mon Dec 16 10:33:03 PST 2002

--On Monday, December 16, 2002 09:26 AM -0800 Bill Reburn
<bill at pacificcoast.net> wrote:

> Pretty much the way I interpretted it the first time - So the new/current
> models being assembled right now (which WILL still be manufactured in
> early 2003) will still boot to 9.
>
> The 'New' machines built in 2003 will boot X only.

I believe this is saying about the same thing, but to state it anyway, my
interpretation is that any Macs already introduced (current iMacs, iBooks,
PowerMacs, etc.) will continue to be built and sold through the first part
of 2003. Thise, of course, are designed for dual booting.

Any Mac models introduced and then built after Jan 1, 2003 (probably
consumer iMacs and maybe iBooks) will have an architectural design change
that will not accomodate the ability to boot into OS 9. (Either that, or a
firmware mod to deliberately prevent OS 9 booting.)

So, since they are not likely to introduce a new set of PowerMacs or
TiBooks in January, the graphic arts people will continue to purchase and
use current systems. It also looks like they will continue to offer the
eMac for education (or perhaps replace it with a 2002 model low-end iMac).

By June or July 2003, all 2002-introduced models will have been be retired
from the sales catalog, making all new Macs OS X bootable only.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at Mac.com