[Ti] S-video to TV

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Wed Dec 18 07:57:14 PST 2002

At 8:50 am -0600 18/12/02, andrew dean wrote:

>If you send a pal signal to an ntsc tv it will show up as black and white
>and kinda messed up. I wonder if you could be sending ntsc to your pal tv?

Darned if I know what determines whether the signal is PAL or NTSC but it's
a British TiBook playing a PAL DVD through a British S-Video cable with the
screen set to PAL resolutions (although I did try NTSC resolutions as
well). And even when I'm not trying to play the DVD, the desktop is
displayed in B&W -- but it's not messed up; in fact it's a very sharp,
clean picture.

>Anyways, sticking a normal s-video cable between your laptop and the tv is
>what you are SUPPOSED to do. If the signal isnt working correctly, something
>else is going on.  If you have an old ADB keyboard cable lying around, it
>works as an s-video cable and might be worth testing with.  In my experience
>old adb cables have less tendency to "go black and white" than some
>dedicated cables.

That, as someone else has already said, is a stonking tip and I'm heading
up to the attic now to dig out one of my museum pieces which will be worth
a lot of money one day.

Simon