[Ti] utility for defragmenting my internal HAD?

Chris Olson chris at astcomm.net
Fri Dec 20 17:56:18 PST 2002

Bill Reburn wrote:
> Ok you geeks (I mean that with respect of course),
>
> So is the question 'to Defrag or not to Defrag?' still in the air?

It's not necessary with unix systems, and OS X is unix (Darwin/BSD
underpinnings).

There are actually two kinds of fragmentation - file fragmentation and
volume fragmentation. File fragmentation refers to what happens when a
file gets broken into lots of tiny pieces so that every little nook and
cranny of the hard disk can get used (very common with Windows).  Volume
fragmentation just means that all of the files aren't crammed together
in one (mostly) contiguous part of the hard disk.  But when you defrag a
FAT32 partition, as soon as you delete something, you create a hole that
immediately gets filled by something else, actually reducing efficiency
and enhancing further file fragmentation.  I don't know exactly how the
defrag tools work for MacOS 9 and prior.

File fragmentation can be bad - volume fragmentation, not really, and
can be an advantage.

UNIX filesystem drivers (like Darwin), use high degrees of volume
fragmentation, by default, to combat file fragmentation, making defrag
unnecessary, or even harmful in some instances.  Anybody that's ever had
some sectors go bad on a hard drive, knows that lots of file fragments
mean the possibility of a much greater number of corrupted files.
Typically, with failed hard disks in unix machines, virtually all data
is recoverable with various tools, and that's not the case with non-unix
operating systems.

I vote for no - don't defrag OS X's filesystem.
--
Chris