[Ti] Battery Life

Bill Palmer whpalmer4 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 21 08:57:53 PST 2002

My view on battery performance is that it is like CPU performance, or RAM/disk
capacity - demand will always expand to exceed capacity :-)  The first few days I had
my Ti 800, it seemed blindingly fast (moving up from a 400 Mhz Lombard), possessed of
infinite battery life, etc.  Then I started running OS X, got an Airport base station
and some extra RAM to shoe-horn in more applications, and suddenly it was time to
start muttering about short battery life while waiting for the pokey computer...

I did see an explanation of how Apple came up with the battery life claim for the
Lombard when it came out.  Plug the computer in to the AC adapter, boot, copy all
applications and data to a RAM disk, launch them, turn down the screen brightness to
the minimum, spin down the disk, then unplug the AC adapter and start the stopwatch.
Don't disturb the machine at all.  With a fresh battery it probably did last as long
as they claimed, but who needs such an expensive paperweight?  One is much safer
treating the battery life claims as "guaranteed not to exceed" numbers :-)