[Ti] FW: TiBook 1GHz/SuperDrive US Mac OS ROM file?

alan kastner wallah at gol.com
Sat Dec 28 10:08:05 PST 2002

Roland,

Please do let us know how it goes with the dealer as regards acquiring a copy of the English version of the installer DVD for the 867MHz/1GHz TiBook.

Your dilemma raises a question that interests me and perhaps some others. That is, wondering whether Apple will at some time release standalone English (or other language) 9.2.2 CDs (or with OS X on DVDs) that cover all models up to and including the latest PowerBooks and are available for purchase in other markets. I fear the next boxed version of OS X will only allow access to OS 9 as the Classic environment from OS X, one that is not bootable on its own.

I use the Japanese version of Mac OS 9.2.2 for everyday work (and as my Classic environment), so didn't feel encumbered as your father did by the localized DVD installer when buying a new GigaBook in Japan. On the other hand, it has always been my habit after buying new hardware to acquire the next CD release of the English version of the system so I had the option of installing it on external drives, etc. for testing and use in certain situations. With the company now trying to push OS 9 into a grave, I can't help but wonder if we may never see an off-the-shelf version of a bootable English OS 9 all users can obtain. Hmm.

 alan