[Ti] FW: TiBook 1GHz/SuperDrive US Mac OS ROM file?

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon Dec 30 12:26:51 PST 2002

>  > If someone boots up my TiBook with their own OS X firewire drive
>>>  (configured with them as admin or root), do they have access to the
>>>  files on my HD?
>>
>>Yes, unfortunately.
>
>I was actually making the point that someone booting up on MacOS 9
>is not really the weak link. I was making that point subtly, and
>politely, by asking a question.
>--

I think most security goes out the window when someone has physical
access to the computer. OSX is one of the most secure server
environments on the internet, but if someone breaks into your server
room, that sort of goes by the wayside.  When Apple announced they
were extending the deadline of OSX-only to June for certain models, I
noticed the TiBook was not mentioned.

Perhaps Apple plans something similar to IBM's security "chip" on the
motherboard of TiBooks to address the security issues discussed in
this thread.  That would necessitate the elimination of being able to
boot into OS9 because Apple ceased development of OS9 some months ago.

Just some food for thought...
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com