[Ti] FW: TiBook 1GHz/SuperDrive US Mac OS ROM file?

~flipper flipper at macsrule.com
Tue Dec 31 10:33:10 PST 2002

Luke Mazzeri offered:

>>A retinal scan instead of a password would probably be good for that.
>>
>>Back in OS 9 and 8 days I was using an app that generated its own
>>passwords. That way even I didn't know what they were. And the
>>'front end' to the app was much heavier than so-called military
>>strength encryption. I never used it with the Users & Groups deal,
>>because it had to have the system booted to enable itself. But
>>there's already fingerprint input devices out there for 'digital
>>signatures', so perhaps someone can find a way to enable a device
>>like that during the startup routine. And have it enabled on
>>CD/drive boots and reformats, as well.  I'd be interested, I know
>>that.
>
>no more power button - instead there is a small touchpad that emits
>a special laser light that the sensor array in the pad analyses the
>reflected/absorbed light in order to read your finger's print, DNA
>signature, and body heat etc...
>
>would someone be able to create a special device that would
>"reflect" back an imitated DNA signal?  YES.  =)
>
>There always has been, and there ALWAYS will be a way around the
>MOST 'secure' 'securities' -
>
>'security' is a highly relative term...  it's a concept - not a reality.

Exactly. Relative is the word, so the onus is on the User to develop
a realistic appraisal of their own relative 'value' as a 'target'.
Then, it comes down to a more conceivable [yet still relatively
'conceptual'] question of probability. Given my relative value, the
resources available to my real or imagined 'spooks', and my budget
for security, I determine a level of security that 'probably'
excludes only those whose resources are less than their interest in
my data, affairs, etc.

>there is no security - there's just a more or less comfortable state
>of mind w/ regard to your worries (rational or otherwise) about the
>wrong people accessing the wrong things.  (this all falls under the
>misnomer of ownership and control - both concepts.  albeit fairly
>'real' concepts governed by a network of like-minded citizens ) =)
>
>when you exist in a conceptual world where technology and modern
>thought revolves around concept rather than reality - well you get
>what you play for...
>
>- luke

Ha ha, yeah. I recall in the 60s, and later, associates being rather
paranoid about information, the gathering of it, use of it, etc. I
see a lot of abuse, but there's another side to the coin, that being,
the more actual information that exists, and the more that is
collected, the harder it is to find one particular piece of info. Not
impossible to find, just more difficult. It's math.

I've heard rumors that individuals in the US, when temporarily
incarcerated, if offered bail, can be assured of release shortly
after posting of the bail. Back in the sixties it was not uncommon
for a person to be held many hours after bail was posted, with the
reason being 'paperwork'. That was the relatively slow network of
multi-state info banks being checked, by relay, for other 'warrants',
charges, etc. The speedup in networks affords more-rapid checking of
the same data banks.Yet we in the news-gathering world are always
hearing of 'wanted' individuals who were released despite the
presence of easily-acquired 'information'.

Too much input of info to process 'realistically'...i.e. the hunter
captured by the 'game'. math.

cheers,
~flipper