[Ti] Laptop Health Warning!

MBurke6225 at aol.com MBurke6225 at aol.com
Sat Nov 23 02:31:59 PST 2002

In a message dated 11/23/02 2:55:50 AM, steve at woz.org writes:
Microwave ovens are not allowed to leak more than 1W, so that is probably a
'safe' amount.

"Probably" is the operative word.  The difficulty with the resolving this
health question rests with our lack of understanding of all forms of
electromagnetic frequencies.  Sure, we have a cursory knowledge, but clearly
we do not understand the motor behind this force.  Simply stated we do not
understand the cause, therefore how can we say, with any certainty, that we
understand the effect?  If science has taught us anything it is the simple
fact that observations are subject to the scientific method, and that
methodology is only as strong as our weakest understanding.

Unfortunately for us all, we view the universe through man centered ideas
about its nature.  It's not about how the universe conforms to our thinking
but how we must conform to its nature in order to understand it.

The answer to the question "could these waves be dangerous" is: we don't know
for sure.
Can we believe that European article about the laptop user getting blistered
from exposure?  We don't know for sure.  Again, how accurate is the source?
It's the press for god's sakes!  But probably not.

If you live in an illusion born from ignorance then discretion is the order
of the day.  If DNA exposed to prolonged levels of ultra violet light can
lead to a distortion in the molecule which is called a thiamin dimmer, which
it does, then danger levels from exposure must vary from atomic level to
systematic whole body.  We aren't savvy enough to know what exposure levels
are safe.  Until we establish safety levels born from certainty and a causal
understanding then we must exercise good judgment.  Keep the laptop elevated
off your lap.

MBurke