[Ti] Laptop Health Warning & the latest security update!

Robin Darby robindarby at mac.com
Sat Nov 23 14:06:36 PST 2002

>>> my question would be - Is the 'heat' purely radiated infrared heat?
>>> os does the computer emit any radio frequency waves of a high enough
>>> power to cause cumulative disruption of normal cellular functioning
>>> after considerably long exposure?  after all - don't microwave ovens
>>> use high frequency electro-magnetic waves to cook food?
>>
>> Yes, but they (microwaves ovens) do use high frequency radio waves @~
>> 2 billion cycles/second. Given things like wireless lan etc run @~
>> 5Gz (5 fifty million cycles per second?) there must be far way to go
>> b4 your laptop (which must be emitting less than any wireless kit??)
>> will start cooking you :) ??
>
> 1Ghz = 1 BILLION cycles per second.
>
> Wireless lans (802.11b/802.11g) run at ~2.4Ghz, IIRC. This is actually
> quite similar frequency to microwave radiation, and it actually isn't
> unheard of for microwave ovens to disrupt airport links.

Eek, where was that "tin foil hat" link ;)
Actually, come to think of it i have heard of microwaves disrupting
wireless links - Fortunately (or unfortunately) I survive on take-outs
and pot noodles (ah the life of a developer :)

Ooh has anyone downloaded that security update yet?
I'm a bit more wary of updates now-days.....

Ta
   Robin...