[Ti] TiBook issues? (First post!)

alan kastner wallah at gol.com
Sat Nov 23 22:39:43 PST 2002

Hi Andy.

Welcome to what is (was?) a list dedicated to discussion of the PowerBook G4 and related topics.

Don't know if this will help alleviate your fears, but I can tell you as one who has used every generation of PowerBook to date that the new 1GHz TiBook is making work and play more enjoyable and with higher productivity than any 'Book I've used previously.

> "paint/delamination and wear issues"

Rumour is that Apple has remedied the paint delamination problem. At a glance, the new paint is different from what we've seen on previous revisions of the TiBook. But I reckon we'll only learn how durable it is once enough users put the new units through their paces.

> "keyboard/frame screen-scratching issues"

The keyboard on my new machine seats 1 or 2mm lower than the one on my Rev. A 500MHz TiBook. Didn't see any marks on the screen after a couple of test runs in a carrying bag. Still, think I'll take the precaution to continue sticking a sheet of something over the kayboard when in transit.

> I've read that some early models didn't have the paint issues at all

Didn't suffer any with my Rev. A model, although the paint seems to be wearing thin on the border in front of the trackpad. Starting to see just a tad of white through an area maybe 5mm wide on edge in front of the right side of the track pad. The number of users of later revisions complaining certainly suggests the problem was real for them. Hopefully the new generation makes these issues a thing of the past. At the same time, I'm enjoying the new machine enough that paint is a secondary issue in my noggin.

>Any rough ideas on average "dead pixel" counts for recent-model TiBooks?

The overwhelming majority are receiving perfect displays. Of dozens of users on another forum, I have heard of one fellow with a single "lit" pixel that is showing aqua-green on a black background, and one other who had a couple that he was able to massage out. But overall, the average seems extremely low. Hurray!

>Do you guys have any good recommendations/tips for preventing potential
>common cosmetic (or other significant) TiBook issues?

Don't use acidic colognes on the insides of your wrists. Don't spend all your waking hours at the machine if you want to preserve your marriage. And don't use terms of endearment for the PowerBook that are more flowery than those you use for your significant other. (At least not in front of him/her.)

 alan