[Ti] OT: iBook can't see Airport card

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Sun Nov 24 08:46:58 PST 2002

On  Sun, 24 Nov 2002 00:35:25 -0500 Pete Zimowski <petez at mac.com> wrote:

> My son's home for the holidays and I want to put an Airport card in his 500
> iBook.  Installs just fine, but when starting the Airport Setup Assistant in
> both OSX and OS9 it says it can't see the Airport card.  I checked on the
> Apple Support Discussion boards and several others have had this problem.
> One suggested running Disk Warrior - said it worked for him, but I can't see
> it being that kind of software problem.

When machines are run without items being attached to various ports for
extended periods, oxidation can occur due to heat and environment. It could
be that the card is not making a decent contact to one or more of the pins
in the Airport interface because of oxidation build up. My advice would be
to take it out and reinsert it a few times. If there is oxidation, this
would have the effect of scraping it off. You might also put a drop or two
of contact cleaner on the pins to clean off the oxidation completely.

Apple System Profiler should recognize the card being present (and display
it's serial number). If it doesn't, you have a different problem. In this
case do a system reset. Push in the small reset button and hold it for a few
seconds. You might also zap the PRAM. Reboot and see if your card is now
recognized.

jg